On-page SEO is an effective way to achieve rankings in search engine result pages. It is crucial to optimize the pages for users and search engines in order to get massive traffic from them. In this post, you will learn the tips to publish a new post and improve search engine rankings.
What is On-page SEO?
On-Page SEO is the process of optimizing the content for users and search engines. The main aim of on-page SEO is to make understand the search engines and the context of the pages.
SEO Techniques for Higher Rankings
- Publish the Impressive Content
When it comes to content, you always need to do great with optimization as websites with good content also come with better ROI. Publish the original content text, images, and infographics and avoid the copy of the content. Use a canonical tag if you are publishing it on other sites.
Even if you add a video or image, do not forget to add a description of what it is all about to understand it in a better way.
Content should be useful and researched well before publishing. It should also satisfy informational, navigational, transactional, and commercial. You can browse the Google results for the target keyword and note the following type of content, domain authority, page authority, level of details, and page structure.
Make sure to build the right content with proper information, easy to read, and presents unique details. If you do not target the right content based on search intent, you will get low rankings.
2. Create an attractive meta title and meta description
Creating the right title and description is essential to make search engines understand what the page is all about. Once they discover the information about the page then they rank them by comparing domain authority, links, and competition for the same key terms and then decide the position on search engine result pages.
There are certain key SEO practices that you should follow when performing on-page SEO-
- Add the focus keyword at the beginning of the Page title
- Write a short and interesting meta title including numbers and powerful words.
- You can avoid using the domain name and optimize the available characters for the title
- Make sure you do not use auto-generated descriptions
3. Optimize Page Content
Content optimization is a crucial step of on-page SEO and has a lot to do with optimizing the actual content for your target keywords. Perform thorough keyword research before publishing the piece of content. Create a list of related words in headings H1, H2, and H3. Use keywords strategically in the entire content maintaining the keyword density and avoiding keyword stuffing. Using LSI, related and long keywords are essential for optimizing content.
There are different ways to take the advantage of Google’s features
- Google Autosuggest
- People Also Ask
- Related searches
4. Headings and Content Structure
The page structure needs to be properly optimized with H1, H2, and H3. Make sure you only have one H1 and if you are using WordPress then by default your title is the H1. For search engines title is the key element to display on the search engine result pages with a blue line. Avoid using a single word for headings and make sure to make it user-friendly and attractive enough that users go through the entire article.
Use the headings hierarchy of placing H1, H2, H3, and H4 in order. It is a best practice to use related keywords in your headings. Make sure your page is readable by using the proper content formatting. You can use bold, underline, and italics to make content stand out and engage. Use enough white space to make the text easier to read.
5. Optimizing Images and other Multimedia Images
There are certain great practices to optimize the images and enable fast loading
- Add short descriptive file names
- The alt attribute should be properly added to make it understandable for search engine
- You can also add a caption giving the image credit or important textual information
- Images play important role in the presentation and make it engaging.
- Use original image or otherwise mention Image credit
- Optimize the image size of less than 100kb
- Use descriptive file name
- Add content delivery network
6. URL Optimization
Optimizing your URLs is vital and there is a permalink where you can add your slug as the focus keyword. The best practice for URLs is keeping them less than 255 characters and separating the keyword by a hyphen. Keep your URL SEO friendly, short, and descriptive. For instance-
Some of the best practices for URLs are-
- Optimize the URL by using categories and subcategories
- Breadcrumbs allow for adding proper structure
7. Internal Links & External Links
Search engines crawl and find the links on the page including internal and external and this way they land on more pages through the links and index them. It is also a way to tell search engines about the important pages on the site. Internal links also increase engagement by allowing users more time to spend on the site. There are some best practices for internal linking-
- Don’t always target keywords and make them natural
- Add internal links where users find it useful
- Do not add too many internal links and make them relevant
- Wherever possible add internal links in the main body
External links help in linking the content of other websites and you can ask them to share it on social media or mention them on the website and as them to do the same aka relationship building. Some of the right practices for external linking are
- Link to the text that provides value to the visitors
- Only link to an authoritative website that you trust.
- Link to the website that has original and unique content
- Do not forget to add nofollow tag to the external website.
8. Page Loading and Speed
Make sure that website loads fast taking into consideration all Google’s recommendations. Quick loading site is not only good for SEO but also for customer retention and conversions.
9. Mobile Friendliness
According to a study, 60% of searches happen on mobile devices and it is important to make the website mobile-friendly. You should test the mobile for friendliness and fix all errors for indexing using Google search console recommendations. Make sure it provides a great user experience by having a proper display of the call to action button.
Looking for an on-page SEO strategy?